Three tourists die in Egypt blast
SOUTH Korea voiced shock and outrage yesterday at the bombing of a tour bus in Egypt that killed three of its nationals as well as the Egyptian driver.
The bomb tore through the bus carrying 31 South Korean tourists and their guide near an Egyptian border crossing with Israel in South Sinai on Sunday.
The tourists were all members of the same church group, from the central South Korean county of Jincheon, on a 12-day trip through Turkey, Egypt and Israel. Officials said this was the first deadly attack on tourists by militants in Egypt in at least three years.
They believed an explosive device had been placed in the vehicle, possibly under the driver's seat. At least 17 of the passengers were injured, officials said.
A spokesman for President Adly Mansour called the bombing a "despicable act of cowardice directed at innocent tourists".
There were no claims of responsibility, but the bombing appeared to offer worrying new evidence that militants who have been attacking Egypt's security forces for months were broadening their campaign against civilians.
Tourism Minister Hisham Zaazou said the bus had travelled from Cairo to the Greek Orthodox Monastery of St Catherine in Sinai, and had been preparing to cross into Israel.
The Singapore Embassy in Cairo has been in touch with Singaporeans in Egypt and there are no reports of affected Singaporeans thus far, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.
MFA strongly condemned the bombing in the statement.