Top Stories


    Jul 01, 2015

    S'pore victim in Taipei fire back here for treatment

    SINGAPOREAN Megan Loy, who was injured in the Taipei water park fire, arrived in Singapore early yesterday morning and was taken straight from the airport to Singapore General Hospital (SGH) in an ambulance at about 6am.

    The 18-year-old, wheeled in on a stretcher, was covered in full-body bandages. She was accompanied by her father, Joseph Loy. He told The Straits Times that his daughter is in "stable" condition now.

    "I have been speaking to her every day," he said. His distraught wife and another daughter made visits in the afternoon, but declined to speak to the media.

    The Singapore Trade Office in Taipei said in a statement that it had facilitated the evacuation late on Monday evening. "She was evacuated to Singapore for further medical treatment and we continue to be in contact with her family," said its spokesman.

    Ms Loy suffered serious burns on up to 50 per cent of her body and was in intensive care at the Taipei Medical University Shuang-Ho Hospital over the weekend.

    She had gone to the annual Colour Play Asia festival at the Formosa Fun Coast water park on the outskirts of Taipei when a blaze occurred on Saturday night. The excursion was meant to be part of a celebratory graduation trip with three schoolmates from Dulwich College Shanghai, an international school.

    The fire, believed to have been started by the explosion of coloured powder thrown on partygoers, claimed its first fatality on Monday. Figures from the health department of the New Taipei City government on Monday showed that 494 people were injured, with one sole death so far.

    Specialists told The Straits Times that many of these victims face an uphill battle.

    Gavin Ong, a dermatologist at The Skin Specialist, a Singapore Medical Group clinic, said: "For severe burns involving 50 per cent of the body, mortality can be high.

    "They also face a myriad of complications affecting major organ systems. Their airways may be compromised, skin wound infections may develop and they may lose large volumes of fluid from affected skin areas. This can in turn cause other problems like kidney failures."

    Chua Jun Jin, a plastic surgeon at Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, said the entire recovery process - including scar treatment and physiotherapy - could take between three and five years.