Smoke in train from air-con leak
THICK smoke was seen at Tanjong Pagar MRT station yesterday afternoon, affecting one trainload of passengers.
A leak of freon gas from the train's air-conditioning system caused the smoke, SMRT said in a statement.
No injuries were reported, said the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF).
"At 2.53pm this afternoon, passengers at Tanjong Pagar MRT station were detrained from a westbound train due to a leak of freon gas from the train's air-conditioning system," said Margaret Teo, SMRT's head of corporate marketing and communications. The tunnel ventilation system was switched on to disperse the gas.
Freon, a common refrigerant, is odourless, has low toxicity and does not catch fire.
The train was withdrawn from service and its air-conditioning system is being checked, said SMRT. It was towed to Ulu Pandan Depot, according to the police.
There was no service disruption, SMRT said.