Top Stories


    Jan 24, 2014

    Shanmugam: Casey's posts deeply offensive

    LAW and Foreign Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam has weighed in on the Facebook posts made by Briton Anton Casey.

    Mr Shanmugam said on his own Facebook page yesterday that he is "terribly upset and offended by what (Mr Casey) has posted" and the posts were "deeply offensive, wrong, and unacceptable".

    Mr Shanmugam noted that it is "basic human decency" for those who have done well to look out for others, especially the needy.

    "Instead, Mr Casey showed contempt," he said, adding that he is glad the community has come together to condemn what the Briton said.

    While Mr Casey has "attempted to apologise" through a statement sent out by public-relations agency Fulford PR, some feel that the way he did so lacked sincerity.

    "I think there is some basis for thinking that," said Mr Shanmugam.

    But he also called on the public to not attack or flame Mr Casey's family.

    "We, Singaporeans, can be bigger than that," he said.

    The minister's post spread swiftly on social media yesterday. As of press time, it garnered more than 3,000 likes and more than 700 shares.

    Mr Casey's posts, which went viral earlier this week, had him calling MRT commuters "poor" and mentioning the "stench of public transport".

    His postings, as well as the subsequent online firestorm, has since caught the attention of the foreign press.

    Numerous British news outlets such as The Independent, The Daily Mail, The Guardian, The Telegraph and The Huffington Post UK carried stories about him on their websites, as did Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post and Australian website