Ngerng fined $1,900 over Hong Lim Park protest
BLOGGER Roy Ngerng Yi Ling yesterday pleaded guilty to co-organising a protest rally at Hong Lim Park without approval on Sept 27 last year, and for disrupting a charity carnival being held at the park then.
He was fined a total of $1,900 - $400 for being a public nuisance, and $1,500 for organising a demonstration without approval - by District Judge Liew Thiam Leng.
The 34-year-old blogger, who contested Ang Mo Kio GRC under the Reform Party at the recent general election, is the second of six protesters charged with causing a public nuisance to plead guilty.
Chua Siew Leng, 43, who does not hold a regular job, did so in March. She was fined $300.
The cases against the other four accused - two of whom also contested the recent polls - have been fixed for a joint trial next week. Han Hui Hui, 24, who contested Radin Mas SMC as an independent candidate, faces the same two charges as Mr Ngerng.
Janet Low Wai Choo, 55, who contested Chua Chu Kang GRC with the People's Power Party, faces one charge of being a public nuisance. The other two are Goh Aik Huat, 42; and Ivan Koh Yew Beng, 60.
Asked by reporters after the hearing if he would continue in opposition politics, Mr Ngerng said: "At this point, I am going to focus on putting food on the table." At the election, his team got 21.36 per cent of votes in Ang Mo Kio GRC .
The six are accused of disrupting the YMCA Proms @ The Park charity event for children with special needs, which was held in Hong Lim Park at the same time as the Return Our CPF protest rally.
Deputy Public Prosecutor John Lu said yesterday that although approval was granted for them to give a speech at Speakers' Corner in Hong Lim Park, they had not applied for approval to organise a demonstration.