Top Stories

Nearly retired cabby dies in accident

TRAPPED: TransCab driver Tan Seng Song, 61, who lived a few streets away from the site of the accident, was trapped in his taxi after the collision with the private bus. He was pronounced dead at the scene. PHOTO: G. MANOHUR


    Jan 09, 2014

    Nearly retired cabby dies in accident

    A TRANSCAB taxi driver who was just six months away from retirement was killed in an accident involving his vehicle and a private bus in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 yesterday morning.

    Mr Tan Seng Song, 61, who lived in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 - a few streets away from the accident site - was trapped in his taxi after the bus hit the driver's side of the vehicle.

    The bus driver, who wanted to be known only as Mr Chong, said the taxi was turning right into Avenue 3 from Ang Mo Kio Street 22.

    His bus, which was ferrying about five workers to a factory in the area, was moving along Avenue 3 at the time to pick up more workers at a nearby bus stop when the accident happened at the traffic junction.

    Mr Chong, a Malaysian, said he has been driving in Singapore for four years.

    The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it received a call about the accident at 6.20am.

    Mr Tan was trapped in the driver's seat when an ambulance and two fire engines arrived within four minutes. He was pulled out of his vehicle by SCDF personnel, but was pronounced dead at the scene. The occupants of the bus did not suffer any injuries.

    Police investigations are ongoing.

    A TransCab spokesman told The Straits Times that Mr Tan had been working for the company since 2006.

    "We are sorry for his family's loss and are assisting police in investigations," she said. "We will also assist the family with any help they need to cope with their loss."

    Mr Tan's second-eldest daughter, Ms Tan Sihua, 31, said her father was planning to retire in July and stay home to look after his three grandchildren.

    A family man, Mr Tan - who has four daughters and a son - would leave the house at 5.45am and return home by 6pm to spend time with his family.

    Ms Tan, a 31-year-old human-resource consultant, said: "He worked hard, but his priority was his family. We still don't know exactly what happened. He's normally very careful (when driving), so it's hard to believe he got into an accident."

    Mr Tan's eldest daughter, Ms Tess Tan, struggled to hold back tears when she spoke on the phone about her father.

    The stay-at-home mum, 33, said: "He worked so hard to put us through school. He wanted us to be educated and find good jobs."

    All of his children are university graduates. His youngest daughter recently graduated from the University of Queensland with a degree in biomedicine.

    Ms Tess Tan said: "We thought once she graduated and found a job, he could finally stop working and rest.

    "But, that didn't happen."