Top Stories

Man seeks divorce after year without sex

UNHAPPY MATRIMONY: Mr Huang, 69, says he and his wife live in separate rooms.


    Oct 14, 2014

    Man seeks divorce after year without sex

    A 69-YEAR-OLD man is asking to divorce his wife, claiming that he has not had sex with his Chinese wife even a year after their marriage.

    Shin Min Daily News has reported that the man, known as Mr Huang, is a retired bus driver who earns a living by renting out two bedrooms in his three-bedroom flat.

    His wife, a woman from China in her 40s, had been renting a room from Mr Huang with her daughter for two years prior to their marriage.

    He is also unhappy that since they got married, the woman has not paid him rent for the room.

    According to Mr Huang, since getting married a year ago, the two have continued to live in separate rooms.

    However, the woman, known only as Madam Ho, is refusing to divorce the man, saying that her husband is a good man who has given her a "sense of home" and treated her 18-year-old daughter well.

    She claimed that shortly after the pair were married, a tenant living in the other room in the flat moved out, and that she had planned to move into that room with Mr Huang, but was unable to do so because it had bedbugs.

    According to Shin Min, the woman claimed to own a car and property back in China, and that she was sincere in entering into the marriage and had not wed Mr Huang for his money.

    She also said that she had been taking care of him, and questioned the need to continue paying rent to him as they are husband and wife.

    However, Mr Huang's family and relatives are disputing her claim, saying that she had not taken care of him.

    A lawyer has said that Mr Huang can ask for an annulment, on the condition that he had previously asked to consummate the marriage but was rejected.