Man dies in KFC contest in Jakarta
THE organiser of an eating contest in Indonesia held with the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) fast-food chain yesterday acknowledged responsibility for the death of a man who died from choking as he took part in a qualifying round in west Jakarta.
Online business company O2 Accion also expressed its condolences over the death of Freedi Djajadi on Friday, who choked on a piece of chicken wing in a KFC outlet in Cenkareng district, reported the Jakarta Post.
The death was "pure accident", said O2 Accion chief programming officer Budi Raharja Sulaiman. The participants had to sign a letter declaring that they were healthy before the contest, he pointed out, adding that insurance was also provided.
"We will hand this case to the authorities for investigation," said Mr Budi.
"In the middle of the race, he (Freedi) choked and took a cup of water. But after that, he had a seizure, appearing to be out of breath," a witness told Merdeka online portal.
He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.