Top Stories

Man, armed with brolly, in 2-hour stand-off at Changi T3

PERCHED ATOP COUNTERS: A man wielding an umbrella climbed on top of a row of check-in counters and, at one point, whipped off his shirt in a stand-off yesterday morning at Changi Airport.


    Apr 26, 2016

    Man, armed with brolly, in 2-hour stand-off at Changi T3

    A MAN was arrested after a two-hour stand-off at Changi Airport yesterday.

    He had climbed onto the check-in counters, taken off his shirt and brandished an umbrella.

    The incident happened at about 9am in the departure hall at Terminal 3, Chinese newspaper Shin Min Daily News reported yesterday.

    Twitter user @C_Corday, or Charlotte Corday, uploaded a photo of the man in a striped shirt and jeans standing on top of a row of check-in counters.

    He then started to take a stroll around the area, whipping off his shirt and, at one point, "building a fort" with what seems to be cardboard boxes.

    It is believed that he thought he was being sent to Dubai for business but was in fact being repatriated to Vietnam.

    A tourist who gave her name as Ms Cai, 35, told Shin Min that she noticed a man standing on top of the counters at about 10am yesterday.

    "I'm not sure how he climbed up there, he just kept standing up there about 3m to 4m off the ground, and even removed his shirt when he was agitated," she said.

    According to her, the man spoke to flight attendants from where he was perched and seemed emotionally disturbed.

    He also appeared to be drunk.

    "Some police officers climbed up and wanted to coax him down, but he kept waving the umbrella he had and stopped them from approaching," added Ms Cai.

    A spokesman for the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) told My Paper yesterday that it was alerted to "a rescue incident at Changi Airport Terminal 3 at about 10 in the morning".

    SCDF dispatched one fire engine, one red rhino, two fire bikes, an ambulance and two support vehicles but no further assistance was required when its officers arrived, as the man had been apprehended by the police.

    The police told My Paper yesterday that "a 32-year-old man was arrested for unsound mind".

    Investigations are ongoing.