Top Stories


    Dec 08, 2015

    London 'stabber' charged with attempted murder


    THE 29-year-old man who allegedly declared "This is for Syria" when attacking passengers at East London's Leytonstone underground station on Saturday with a knife had been charged with attempted murder, the local media reported. He will come before Britain's criminal judges later this week.

    Till then, Muhaydin Mire, who lives in Sansom Road, East London, will be remanded in custody, reported the Daily Express newspaper.

    A 56-year-old man suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries in the attack, while a second person suffered minor injuries.

    Eyewitnesses said they saw the attacker beat one man unconscious before hacking at his neck, which they feared was an attempt to behead him, The Telegraph newspaper reported.

    Police fired Taser electric stun guns at the suspect when they arrived at the scene.

    British security services were investigating whether the alleged attacker was acting alone, The Guardian newspaper reported.

    "Although a man has been charged, the investigation is still very much a live one," said Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock.

    The police have increased uniformed and plainclothes patrols at transport hubs following the incident at the suburban station on the Central Line.

    The incident took place after months of warnings from security officials that there has been a drive to kill in Britain's streets inspired by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group, said The Guardian.

    London's level of security was raised in August last year to "severe", the second-highest of five levels which suggests an attack is highly likely.

    ISIS has warned on Thursday that Britain would be the next target, just hours after the country's MPs approved air strikes on the group's strongholds in Syria.