KL to investigate its envoy over NZ sex attack
MALAYSIA yesterday vowed to "thoroughly investigate" one of its foreign envoys who fled sex charges in New Zealand after invoking diplomatic immunity.
Defence staff assistant Muhammad Rizalman Ismail was charged in a New Zealand court on May 10 with burglary and assault with intent to commit rape.
But the case had to be dropped when he invoked diplomatic immunity. He is said to have refused to submit a DNA sample.
Police alleged the man was arrested in Wellington after following a 21-year-old woman on the night of May 9 and attacking her in her home.
On May 22, he returned to Malaysia, where he is being probed by the defence ministry, Malaysian Foreign Minister Anifah Aman said.
"The Malaysian government acknowledges that the incident is a serious matter, and we do not have any intention to sweep the matter under the carpet," he told reporters.
"I have made it very, very clear that this case must be investigated thoroughly."
New Zealand said officials in Kuala Lumpur turned down a request to waive Muhammad Rizalman's diplomatic immunity. However, Mr Anifah said his country had been prepared to waive immunity but New Zealand had offered to allow the accused to return to Malaysia.
The minister said Muhammad Rizalman, who had been working in Wellington for a year in his first foreign posting, was undergoing psychological evaluation.