Top Stories


    Feb 10, 2015

    Japanese tourist 'drugged, raped by Indian guide'

    A JAPANESE woman has accused an Indian tourist guide of drugging and then raping her in the historic city of Jaipur, police said yesterday, the latest in a series of sex attacks on foreigners in the country.

    The 20-year-old said the guide offered to show her around Jaipur, famous for its grand palaces and forts, on his motorbike on Sunday before assaulting her on the outskirts of the "Pink City" in the evening.

    The woman said she was given food laced with drugs before being attacked by the man thought to be aged about 25, Dharam Chand Jain, police inspector-general for Jaipur district, told AFP.

    "The 20-year-old tourist had arrived in Jaipur yesterday (Sunday) and met the accused man near the hotel who introduced himself as a tour guide," Inspector Jain said.

    "They went to a couple of places on his motorbike during the day. The accused offered to drop her at her hotel in the evening but took her to a desolate area... and allegedly raped her."

    The man fled the scene after the woman's screams were overheard by villagers who rushed to help, according to local media reports.

    "The tourist alleged that she was offered some food which might have been laced with drugs," Inspector Jain said, adding that blood tests have been conducted on the woman to determine the type of drugs used.

    The case is the latest in a string of high-profile sex attacks that have highlighted high levels of violence against women in the world's second-most-populous country.

    Six men from the eastern city of Kolkata were charged last month with kidnapping and gang-raping a 22-year-old Japanese tourist. The woman was allegedly held hostage for a month after travelling to the Buddhist shrine of Bodh Gaya in Bihar state.

    In the latest case, the woman has undergone a medical examination and was helping police try to identify her attacker, Inspector Jain said. The Japanese embassy said it was gathering information about the attack and could offer no further comment.