Top Stories

Duo sentenced for 2010 Kallang attacks

JAILED FOR LIFE: Tony will also get 24 strokes of the cane.
Duo sentenced for 2010 Kallang attacks

HEADED TO THE GALLOWS: Micheal will be appealing against his death sentence.


    Apr 21, 2015

    Duo sentenced for 2010 Kallang attacks

    TWO men from Sarawak - convicted of murder for the brutal 2010 slashings here in Kallang - were sentenced yesterday, with one headed to the gallows and the other jailed for life.

    Micheal Garing, 26, and Tony Imba, 36, were part of a gang that went on a robbery spree, severely injuring three victims and killing a fourth man.

    Both Micheal and Tony were found guilty of murder in January last year after a 12-day trial.

    High Court Judge Choo Han Teck had said that evidence showed Micheal was the one who had struck the murder victim. The 26-year-old was given the death sentence.

    Tony will serve life in prison and get 24 strokes of the cane.

    Micheal's lawyer, Ramesh Tiwary, said his client will be appealing against his sentence.

    The pair and two accomplices had attacked and robbed the four men in the Kallang area from late in the night of May 29, 2010 until the early hours of the next day.

    Before the fatal assault on 41-year-old construction worker Shanmuganathan Dillidurai, the gang set upon two construction workers from India - Sandeep Singh, 27, and Egan Karuppaiah, 46 - and Singaporean Ang Jun Heng, 22.

    The dead man had a fractured skull, a severed left hand, a slash wound across his neck and a back wound so deep that his shoulder blade was cracked.

    One accomplice, Donny Meluda, 23, is at large. The other, Hairee Landak, 22, was sentenced to 33 years' jail and 24 strokes of the cane for armed robbery with grievous hurt. He testified in the trial.