Top Stories

Cabby saves man from burning car

GOOD DEED: Mr Ang, said in his Facebook post that he fell asleep while driving and crashed his car into a tree last Thursday. A taxi driver then stopped and pulled him out before the car caught fire. According to the police, the accident happened at 4.20am on Marymount Road.


    Oct 02, 2015

    Cabby saves man from burning car

    HE FELL asleep while driving and crashed his car into a tree in the wee hours last Thursday.

    His car then burst into flames with him still inside.

    Fortunately, a cabby witnessed the accident and stopped his taxi, rushed over and pulled Raymond Ang out.

    On Monday, Mr Ang, 27, thanked the stranger who saved his life via a Facebook post, which was picked up by citizen journalism site Stomp.

    "To whoever you are, I wish to express my gratitude to you for willing to stop your vehicle and pull me out of my burning car, saving my (sic) this small little life," he said.

    The accident happened at around 4.20am last Thursday on Marymount Road in the direction of Ang Mo Kio Avenue 6, said a police spokesman.

    Mr Ang said in the Facebook post, which is no longer publicly accessible, that he was driving along Marymount Road when he dozed off at the wheel.

    He then lost control of his car and crashed it into a tree just outside Mount Alvernia Hospital.

    Thankfully, a 58-year-old ComfortDelGro taxi driver who was passing by rushed to Mr Ang's aid before the flames engulfed the car.

    When My Paper contacted Mr Ang, he declined to be interviewed, saying: "I do not wish to make this big."

    He added that he had posted on Facebook only to let the driver know about his gratitude.

    In his Facebook post, Mr Ang described the taxi driver as "a humble man who did not ask for anything in return".

    Mr Ang said he values his life more now and added: "Thanks once again for everything. I will treasure this life that you have saved."

    A Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) spokesman said they were alerted to the incident and two fire engines and an ambulance were sent to the scene.

    The police spokesman said a 27-year-old man, who was still conscious, was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

    A witness told Shin Min Daily News that he was at home when he heard an explosion.

    By the time he went downstairs to investigate, firefighters were already putting out the fire.

    They used a water jet to extinguish the blaze, said the SCDF spokesman.

    By then, the front of the car was reduced to a charred mess and most of its interior seemed to have melted.

    Police and SCDF investigations are ongoing.