Top Stories


    Nov 09, 2015

    Boy, 15, dies of suspected food poisoning after school trip

    A 15-YEAR-OLD student has died after suffering violent fits of vomiting and diarrhoea said to have started during an overseas school trip.

    Luke Chan, a student of Catholic High, was in Shanghai for a one-week trip, Shin Min Daily News reported yesterday.

    After he returned to Singapore on Friday, he showed signs of food poisoning, the report said.

    But as he did not have a fever, a doctor was not consulted, his mother told Shin Min.

    She added that according to her son, he was suffering from stomach aches on Wednesday, when he was in Shanghai.

    On Saturday night, Luke fainted at home and was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

    He died in the early hours of yesterday.

    It is understood that his schoolmates who were also on the trip did not fall ill.

    Luke's grief-stricken father was seen at the morgue clutching his son's uniform, Lianhe Wanbao reported.

    The senior Mr Chan told Wanbao that his son, who was an only child, did well at school and loved football.