Body of US boy grabbed by alligator found intact
THE body of two-year-old Lane Graves was discovered "intact" by divers 17 hours after the boy was snatched by an alligator into a murky lagoon in Orlando, which borders the Disney World theme park.
With the end of the search, Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings told the media that charges are unlikely against Lane's parents, who are from Nebraska and had checked into the Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa on Sunday with their three children.
There was no indication that Matt and Melissa Graves had committed any crime that contributed to the reptile grabbing away their son, Florida's Palm Beach Post reported Mr Demings as saying.
But the authorities would look into why Disney had not incorporated a warning about the presence of alligators in the "no swimming" signs it posted at the lagoon, said the sheriff.
Searchers plucked five alligators out from the water while looking for the child, who was attacked on Tuesday night at the edge of the lagoon and could not be saved by his parents who rushed over from some distance away.
One of the five may have been responsible for the attack, said a wildlife official.
According to the New York Times, the reptiles had been euthanised.
Mr Demings said it appeared that the alligator drowned the child, whose body was found about 4m from where he was taken.
"Of course, the family was distraught but also I believe somewhat relieved that his body was found intact," he added.
Walt Disney World said that it had shut down all its Florida resort beaches and marinas out of precaution after the incident - the first such death in its 45-year history, reported Agence France-Presse.
According to a wildlife official, he and his colleagues have always worked with Disney resorts to remove "nuisance alligators" - classed as those which have lost their fear of humans.