BBC 'saw proof' of Fifa ex-official's fund transactions
THE British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) claims to have seen evidence detailing what happened to the US$10 million that soccer's world governing body Fifa sent to former vice-president Jack Warner.
Warner is among nine current and former Fifa officials and five corporate executives charged by the United States Department of Justice with running a criminal enterprise that involved more than US$150 million in bribes.
Prosecutors say Warner solicited bribes worth US$10 million from the South African government to host the 2010 World Cup and diverted funds for personal use.
The BBC reported yesterday that it had seen documents showing that Warner had used the money for cash withdrawals, personal loans and to launder money.
"The papers seen by the BBC detail three wire transfers by Fifa," the report said. "In the three transactions - on Jan 4, Feb 1 and March 10, 2008 - funds totalling $10 million from Fifa accounts were received into Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football accounts controlled by Jack Warner."
Warner, a central figure in world football's deepening scandal, had constantly denied any wrongdoing, but vowed last week to tell investigators all he knew about corruption within the sport's governing body.
In a paid political address in his homeland of Trinidad and Tobago entitled "The gloves are off", the 72-year-old announced his plans to reveal all.
"The documents reveal how the money was spent and moved around," the BBC said in its report.
"JTA Supermarkets, a large chain in Trinidad, received US$4,860,000 from the accounts. The money was paid in instalments from January 2008 to March 2009. The largest payment was US$1,350,000, paid in February 2008," the BBC added.