Top Stories


    Sep 01, 2016

    3 ISIS suspects plotting attacks in KL nabbed


    MALAYSIAN police have arrested three suspected Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants said to have planned to attack a Hindu temple in Batu Caves and several entertainment outlets in Kuala Lumpur just before the country celebrated its national day yesterday.

    "The three are Malaysians who received orders from Muhammad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi to launch the attacks by using grenades or firearms on the eve of national day," police chief Khalid Abu Bakar said yesterday in a statement.

    The trio belong to the same terrorist cell, the inspector-general of police added.

    The suspects were arrested in a three-day operation by the Counter Terrorism Division that began on Saturday.

    The IGP said the police seized a K75 grenade, a CZ 2075 Rami 2 pistol and 24 rounds of 9mm bullets when they arrested one of them, a 20-year-old truck driver, in Selangor on Saturday.

    The other two - a 27-year-old butcher and a 20-year-old water vendor - were arrested in Pahang and Kuala Lumpur respectively.

    "They received instructions to launch attacks on entertainment centres in Kuala Lumpur, the Hindu temple in Batu Caves in Selangor, as well as a police station on the eve of Merdeka 2016," said the police chief.

    Wanndy, a Malaysian who goes by an assumed name Abu Hamzah al-Fateh, lives in Syria where ISIS is based, the Malay Mail pointed out.

    He was believed to have masterminded the grenade attack in June on the Movida nightclub in Puchong, Selangor, which injured eight patrons.

    "The suspects planned to leave for Syria to join ISIS to help Wanndy Mohamad after successfully launching the (planned) attacks," said the IGP.

    The trio were arrested on suspicion of engaging in terrorism-related offences and will be investigated under the 2012 Security Offences Act, reported the Bernama news agency.

    In July, police said they arrested 15 Malaysians as part of a counter-terrorism crackdown, including two men believed to have carried out the Puchong blast.

    Four suspected militants were seized in January, and in April last year, 17 people were arrested on suspicion of plotting terror attacks in Kuala Lumpur.