$220k fine for 9-hour Mio TV disruption
TELECOMMUNICATIONS provider SingNet has been fined $220,000 by the Media Development Authority (MDA) for an islandwide disruption to Mio TV services on May 15.
Starting from around 1am that day, the disruption lasted about nine hours and affected about 26,000 Mio TV subscribers across Singapore, who could not boot up their set-top boxes to view channels they had subscribed to. Service was restored around 10am.
MDA said yesterday that the incident was triggered by a routine maintenance activity carried out on May 14 and 15, which involved replicating video-on-demand content to another server.
But the operation failed as the hard disk was full and, in attempting to fix it, the wrong recovery command was keyed in by SingNet's contractor, resulting in the service disruption.
This latest penalty marks the third time in two years that SingNet has been fined.
It had been fined $80,000 and $180,000 previously.
The MDA said that in determining the penalty this time, it took into consideration factors such as SingNet's service record, extent and duration of the disruption, and compensation offered to those affected.
SingNet had given all those affected a free one-month preview of all channels and/or gift vouchers.