UFC's Jones faces longer doping suspension
THE Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) extended a temporary suspension for Jon Jones on Monday and revealed two banned substances the UFC fighter tested positive for, according to ESPN.
Jones, who was pulled from a light heavyweight title fight against Daniel Cormier days before UFC 200 earlier this month, tested positive for clomiphene and traces of letrozole in an out-of-competition sample provided on June 16.
The Nevada district attorney's office informed the NSAC of a potential hearing date around September or October, ESPN said.
Jones, 28, is facing a two-year ban under the policies of Ultimate Fighting Championship's drug programme and the United States Anti-Doping Agency, which was responsible for the June 16 test, but is also subject to the NSAC's jurisdiction.
Jones (22-1) previously denied taking any banned substances. "Being labelled as someone who would cheat hurts more than anything else I've ever been through in my career," he told a news conference in Las Vegas this month.
Another doping controversy surrounds the bout that replaced the Jones-Cormier clash as the main event at UFC 200 following Jones' temporary suspension.
Former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, who beat Mark Hunt by unanimous decision in the July 9 clash in the Las Vegas octagon, was flagged last week by the US Anti-Doping Agency for a possible violation.