Jul 15, 2016

    Top French official reveals plot to attack team


    FRANCE were told of a planned terror attack on their team at the Rio Games, according to the head of military intelligence cited in an official document.

    The plans were revealed by General Christophe Gomart, head of the Directorate of Military Intelligence, at a parliamentary commission in May investigating the Paris attacks in November which left 147 dead.

    In a section of the report, made public this week, he told the commission that he had been informed of the plot - planned by a Brazilian national - "by our partners".

    No other details on the claims were made available by the French authorities.

    Brazil's institutional security Cabinet, which coordinates the information services in the country, told Agence France-Presse (AFP) it had received no information from the French authorities.

    "We were not the source of information and the Brazilian intelligence agency was not officially informed either of this matter," a spokesman said.

    Early this month, the Brazilian Minister of Justice, Alexandre Moraes, said an extremist attack in Rio de Janeiro during the Olympics was a "possibility" but "not a probability".

    Some 85,000 members of the security forces - 47,000 policemen and 38,000 soldiers - will be mobilised to ensure the safety of 10,500 athletes as well as officials, journalists and tourists from around the world expected for the Games.