Jul 21, 2016

    Rogers Cup allure dims after Federer, Nadal pull out


    FORMER champions Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal are giving the Rogers Cup in Toronto a miss, leaving the tournament without three of the world's top four players, Tennis Canada said on Tuesday.

    The decision by Swiss world number three Federer and Spanish world number four Nadal comes a day after Wimbledon winner Andy Murray, ranked second, said he would not defend his Rogers Cup title so he can rest before defending his Olympic singles crown in Rio.

    Federer, a 17-time grand slam champion who won the Canadian stop in 2004 and 2006, said he needed more time off after his bid for a record-extending 18th grand slam title ended in the Wimbledon semi-finals earlier this month.

    Nadal, who has been out of action since pulling out of the French Open following his second-round match with a wrist injury, said he was not fit enough to return to competition.

    The Rogers Cup, where world number one Novak Djokovic is top seed, will run from July 23 to 31.

    The tennis competition at the Rio Olympics will be held from Aug 6 to 14.