May 07, 2015

    Pacquiao sued for 'hiding' shoulder injury


    TWO Nevada men filed a class-action lawsuit against Manny Pacquiao on Tuesday, seeking millions in damages because they said that he fraudulently concealed a shoulder injury before his defeat by Floyd Mayweather in the "Fight of the Century".

    It is the latest fallout from Mayweather's victory in Las Vegas on Saturday in a unanimous decision, with Pacquiao saying afterwards that the shoulder complaint had hampered his performance in the welterweight world title showdown.

    The plaintiffs argued that by failing to go public with the injury before the feverishly anticipated bout, the Philippine icon and his camp violated the Nevada Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

    The suit filed in a United States district court in Las Vegas named Pacquiao, his manager Michael Koncz, promotional company Top Rank and Top Rank chairman Bob Arum and president Todd duBoef.

    According to court documents available online, the lawsuit claimed that when plaintiffs Stephane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran bought tickets, forked out pay-per-view fees or bet on the fight, the defendants "knew and had full knowledge and information that defendant Pacquiao had been seriously injured and was suffering from a torn rotator cuff".

    "Defendants further know that such injury would severely affect his performance," the lawsuit added.

    "None of the defendants informed or apprised the public or even the Nevada State Athletic Commission about the injury to defendant Pacquiao."

    After the fight, Pacquiao and Top Rank revealed that the 36-year-old had been injured in a training camp some three weeks earlier.

    They said he had been cleared by doctors to fight, although they had expected him to be able to take an anti-inflammatory injection on fight night, but the Nevada State Athletic Commission ultimately denied him.

    Pacquiao attorney Daniel Petrocelli told The Los Angeles Times that he expects the lawsuit to be dismissed.

    "It claims Pacquiao was injured (immediately) before the bout and that's not true - he was injured (nearly a month) before the bout, was examined by doctors and cleared to fight," Mr Petrocelli said. "And he was examined by the commission right before he fought."