Nadal sues ex-minister for drug claims
SPANISH tennis superstar Rafael Nadal said on Monday he had filed a lawsuit in Paris against former French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot after she accused him of covering up a failed drugs test.
Bachelot, who served as sports minister between 2007 and 2010, alleged that Nadal - one of Spain's most loved and admired sportsmen - faked an injury in 2012, when he missed the final six months of the season due to knee problems, in order to hide a positive drug test.
In response, Nadal told Agence France-Presse last month that he was going to seek "justice" and use the courts to put a stop to speculation he ever used performance-enhancing drugs.
He has never failed a drug test in his many years on the ATP Tour.
In his statement, the 29-year-old said if the court considered there had been wrongdoing and awarded him damages, all the money would be given to a non-governmental organisation or foundation in France.