Lochte gets 10-month ban for fake robbery report
US SWIMMER Ryan Lochte has been hit with a 10-month suspension following his bogus gunpoint robbery story during a drunken night out at the Olympics, two separate media reports said on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old has been suspended until mid-2017, the USA Today newspaper reported, citing a person with knowledge of the situation.
He would also be banned from next year's World Championships in Budapest.
A United States Olympic Committee (USOC) spokesman declined to confirm the reports when contacted by AFP for comment. USA Today said a statement confirming the suspension would be issued today.
Lochte's suspension was first reported by the TMZ.com entertainment news website.
It said three other swimmers involved in the escapade were suspended for varying periods of up to four months.
Lochte, a 12-time Olympic medallist, has lost a slew of sponsorship deals following the Rio incident.
The Olympic gold medal winner had told the media in Rio that he and three teammates had been mugged after an all-night party by robbers pretending to be police.
The tale humiliated first the Brazilian hosts of the Games and later Lochte's own Team USA, after the police determined that he had largely fabricated his story.