Aug 22, 2016

    Lochte apologises for fake story

    BAD boy United States swimmer Ryan Lochte made his apologies directly to the Brazilian public for his invented Olympic story yesterday, calling himself "immature" in an interview with Brazilian Globo TV.

    "I am sorry, it won't happen again," the 32-year-old, with the peroxide colour taken out of his hair, said in the interview.

    Lochte - winner of six Olympic gold medals - and three other top US swimmers sparked a controversy by falsely saying they had been robbed at gunpoint at a Rio gas station while attending the Olympics.

    "It was my fault," Lochte, who has also made a mea culpa on US television, told Globo.

    "I was immature."

    According to Brazilian police, the four invented their story after a security guard caught them vandalising a bathroom.

    Lochte said he had torn down a poster in the gas station and, as in his comments to US television, added: "To a certain extent, I over-exaggerated."