Lancaster sorry for England's loss to Wallabies
ENGLAND coach Stuart Lancaster apologised and admitted his future is uncertain after Australia dumped his side out of the Rugby World Cup with a brilliant performance at Twickenham.
Lancaster and England captain Chris Robshaw apologised to the nation for Saturday's 33-13 humiliation by the Wallabies.
But the knives were quickly out for the pair as England became the first World Cup hosts to fail to reach the last-eight knockout round.
Asked if he was considering his position after the loss, Lancaster said: "Yeah, obviously I think I've got to. It's not just going to be my decision. The responsibility and accountability lies with me."
Lancaster was given a contract extension last year that took him to 2020 - beyond the next World Cup in Japan.
"Everyone put so much effort in, but we're sorry we let everyone down," he added.
The coach said his priority was to prepare England for their final - and meaningless - Pool A match against Uruguay in Manchester next Saturday.
England were outplayed by Australia - for whom fly-half Bernard Foley scored 28 points.
England captain Chris Robshaw, appointed by Lancaster, accepted he would be under pressure as well.
"We feel we let the country down. As players, we didn't quite get there. We apologise to them," he said.
"I think this week we're going to have to answer some really tough questions."
Many fans left Twickenham before the end of the match and the English media mocked the national team. "End of the World," said a Mail on Sunday headline.
England has spent more than US$100 million (S$143 million) preparing for the tournament which the rugby federation wanted to use to increase the game's popularity.
Experts said no decision will likely be taken about Lancaster until after the World Cup final on Oct 31.