Federer plans January return in Australia
ROGER Federer, who is sidelined for the rest of the year, said on Wednesday he intends to return to competition in Australia in January at the Hopman Cup and Australian Open.
The record 17-time grand slam singles winner announced last month that he would be missing the Rio Olympics, the US Open and the remainder of the 2016 schedule in order to properly recover after having knee surgery earlier this year.
The Swiss world No. 4 said he was taking a positive outlook.
"I don't see it as the end of something. I see it as a beginning to something I'm working for, and when I come back to the Hopman Cup and then to the Australian Open... that's what I'm working for now," said the 35-year-old.
Federer was speaking at a news conference where it was announced that he and Rafa Nadal were committing to play for Team Europe in the inaugural Laver Cup matches next year against a rest-of-the-world team in Prague on Sept 22-24.