Oct 29, 2013
Dealing with bladder weakness
SUFFERING from bladder weakness? Here are some tips:
- Limit your fluid intake to 1.5 to 2 litres a day, including coffee, tea, alcohol and soup, not just water.
- Try to reduce the intake of drinks that can irritate your bladder, such as coffee, tea, fizzy drinks and alcohol.
- Eat plenty of fibre to prevent constipation, as it can put pressure on your bladder.
- Shed excess weight, as extra kilos can put pressure on your pelvic floor.
- Stop smoking, or at least cut back, to avoid putting pressure on your pelvic floor from coughing.
- Always take the time to empty your bladder properly.
- Try not to go to the toilet "just in case", as you then train your bladder to empty more often.
- Do pelvic-floor exercises.