Scotland Yard probes 'attack' on celeb cook
SCOTLAND Yard has launched an investigation following reports that celebrity cook Nigella Lawson, 53, was attacked by her husband.
Lawson and her husband, advertising millionaire and art dealer Charles Saatchi, were spotted at Scott's in Mayfair, central London, an eatery favoured by celebrities, last Saturday.
Fellow diners and onlookers - who could see the outdoor table the couple were seated at - noticed that the two were arguing.
They were shocked when Saatchi, 70, reportedly leaned over at one point and grasped Lawson's neck a total of four times. At one point, he allegedly tweaked her nose, then pushed both hands in her face. Lawson reportedly jerked her head backwards, as if in fear.
By the end of the meal, she was apparently distraught. Saatchi stormed off, and Lawson left the restaurant alone and in tears, according to a report in British newspaper the Daily Mirror. The newspaper also published photos of the alleged attack.
"It was utterly shocking to watch," one onlooker told the Mirror.
"I have no doubt that she was scared. It was horrific... Nigella was very, very upset. She had a real look of fear on her face. No man should do that to a woman...
"She appeared to be a woman who loves him but was clearly unable to stop him being abusive, frightening and disrespectful to her."
The two will have been married for 10 years, come September. It is Saatchi's third marriage, and Lawson's second.
The news of their violent argument made headlines on Sunday.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said officers from the Community Safety Unit at Westminster were aware of the articles, adding: "Enquires are in hand to establish the facts of the incident."
He told Britain's The Telegraph that Lawson had not lodged a complaint but declined to confirm whether any other member of the public had done so.
Lawson has previously said that she and Saatchi have fiery arguments.
The Telegraph noted that in 2007 she said: "I'll go quiet when he explodes, and then I am a nest of horrible festeringness."
Since the incident, Lawson has tweeted photos of food, but has made no mention of the alleged attack.
She was seen leaving the Chelsea flat she shares with Saatchi on Sunday. She reportedly was carrying a suitcase and had her son, Bruno, 17, in tow.