Dengue scourge claims first victim this year
SINGAPORE'S current dengue epidemic has claimed its first victim this year: A 20-year-old man.
Mr Ang Yong Han died at Tan Tock Seng Hospital on Wednesday from dengue shock syndrome, said the hospital.
He went to the hospital last Thursday and was diagnosed as having a viral fever. Later in the night, he felt better and he requested to be discharged.
Mr Ang returned to the hospital on Sunday but his condition deteriorated.
Mr Ang lived in Hougang Avenue 1, which is a dengue cluster, said the Ministry of Health and the National Environment Agency (NEA) in a joint statement.
NEA is conducting thorough inspections around Mr Ang's home.
A Shin Min Daily News report said Mr Ang was the only child in his family and he had recently completed his studies at the Institute of Technical Education.
Mr Ang's father, a 58-year-old vegetable wholesaler, said his son was filial and often accompanied him on his delivery rounds.
There have been 8,001 cases of dengue reported from January to Tuesday afternoon.
For the whole of last year, there were 4,632 cases. There were 641 cases in the week ending last Saturday, a rise from 610 cases in the previous week.