Cadmium killing Chinese villagers
AT LEAST 26 villagers have died from cadmium poisoning and hundreds more have fallen ill since 2009 near a disused factory in central China, local media said yesterday.
Soil samples from Shuangqiao in Hunan province contained 300 times the authorised cadmium levels and excess amounts were found in 500 of 3,000 villagers tested by the health authorities, China Youth Daily said.
It said 26 people had died as a result of cadmium exposure in the last four years. Twenty of them died from cancer.
There were children born with deformities in the village.
Cadmium is highly toxic and exposure to the metal "is known to cause cancer", according to the United States Department of Labor.