Baby scalded at PCF centre
PHOTOS of a baby boy with a badly blistered wrist caused by a scalding accident at a pre-school in the west have raised concern among many parents.
The PAP Community Foundation (PCF) confirmed that the incident took place last Wednesday morning at its PCF Little Wings centre in Jurong West Street 42. The centre provides infant-care services.
A PCF spokesman told My Paper that the accident was reported to the Early Childhood Development Agency, and that the "police have viewed the closed-circuit TV footage" of the incident.
Police said investigations are ongoing.
The incident came to light after a Facebook user - said to be a friend of the boy's mother - posted photos of the baby's injury on Tuesday. It was also highlighted in a post on citizen-journalism website Stomp.
The FB user said the six-month-old infant suffered "second-degree burns" after being scalded by "piping hot" liquid.
Investigations carried out by PCF revealed that a female "infant educarer" had placed a cup of coffee on the floor to raise the window blinds. Just then, the baby arrived at the centre. She placed the boy on the floor and went to put away his things. The accident happened during the time that she was away.
PCF chief executive Tay Swee Yee said: "The infant educarer was clearly negligent in carrying out her duties, and PCF will be taking the appropriate disciplinary action against her."
He said PCF will also "review the environment and procedures at the centre to prevent the recurrence of such accidents".
Apologising for the incident, Mr Tay said PCF would "do everything we can to help the child recover from this accident".
An Early Childhood Development Agency spokesman said it was aware of the incident and that the "safety of our children is of utmost importance".
She said the agency is "investigating and working closely with the centre to ensure that safety guidelines are adhered to".