Virus-hit McCartney cancels Japan tour

DOWNCAST: A Japanese fan reacting to McCartney's tour cancellation.


    May 21, 2014

    Virus-hit McCartney cancels Japan tour


    FORMER Beatle Paul McCartney has cancelled his Japan tour due to illness, organisers said yesterday, days after apologising to fans for missing a pair of weekend concerts.

    The 71-year-old English pop veteran - one of two living members of the Beatles - had already cancelled planned performances at the National Stadium in Tokyo on Saturday and Sunday, after coming down with an unspecified virus.

    He "will regrettably have to cancel the remaining Japanese shows. Paul is still not feeling better and this cancellation is unavoidable", organiser Kyodo Tokyo said in a statement.

    McCartney had planned to play a concert at another venue in Tokyo on Wednesday and the last one in Osaka on Saturday as part of his Out There world tour.

    There were also plans for a Monday show to make up for the cancelled Saturday event.

    "I was really looking forward to playing in Japan again after we had such an amazing time here in November," McCartney was quoted as saying in the statement.

    "So, to cancel these shows as well as the National Stadium shows is hugely disappointing for me as well," he said.

    "I'd like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding.

    "I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul," he added.