No charge for Caitlyn Jenner over fatal crash
FORMER Olympic champion and reality TV star Caitlyn Jenner will not be charged in connection with a crash in Malibu earlier this year that killed a 69-year-old woman, Los Angeles prosecutors said on Wednesday.
Based on the facts in the case, prosecutors lacked evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that Jenner's conduct was unreasonable, according to documents provided by Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
Jenner, 65, was driving a Cadillac Escalade along Pacific Coast Highway and towing a trailer carrying a dune buggy when she slammed into two other cars, according to authorities.
During the crash, a white Lexus, driven by 69-year-old Kim Howe, was shoved by Jenner's sport-utility vehicle across a centre divider and into oncoming traffic, where it was struck head-on by a Hummer.
Ms Howe was killed in the collision and Jessica Steindorff, who was driving a black Toyota Prius also rear-ended by Jenner, was injured. Jenner escaped serious injury in the crash.
According to a summary of the investigation released by the district attorney's office, Jenner was driving slightly below the speed limit and "minimally slower than the victim" and braked 1.5 to 1.9 seconds before the collision.
The summary said that the only possible violation against Jenner would be a "violation of the basic speed law," meaning too fast for the conditions.
But, prosecutors said in the document, "crime also requires ordinary negligence". And based on facts, it cannot be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt that suspect's conduct was unreasonable". Reasonable doubt is the standard required in California, and in most United States courts, to prove a defendant guilty of a crime.
Both Ms Steindorff and Ms Howe's stepchildren and family sued Jenner, who was known as Bruce Jenner at the time of the crash, and announced in April he was transgender.
Civil cases typically require a lesser burden of proof than criminal courts.