Judge declines to dismiss Cosby's sexual assault case
A PENNSYLVANIA judge refused to dismiss a sexual assault case against Bill Cosby on Wednesday, setting the stage for the first criminal prosecution of the once-celebrated comedian, who has for years denied allegations of assault by dozens of women.
The decision was a loss for the 78-year-old entertainer who for decades was beloved by United States television audiences for his family-friendly brand of humour.
Cosby's attorneys had tried to convince Pennsylvania Common Pleas Court Judge Steven O'Neill that their client could not be prosecuted due to an agreement reached with a former Montgomery Country district attorney more than a decade ago.
They never produced a written agreement to that effect.
"I hereby find no basis to grant the relief requested" by Cosby's lawyers, the judge said at the end of a two-day hearing in suburban Philadelphia.
A Cosby spokesman said the decision would be appealed.
More than 50 women have accused Cosby of sexually assaulting them in attacks dating back to the 1960s and several civil lawsuits have been filed against him, though many of the incidents are too old to prosecute.
Prosecutors in Los Angeles County last month decided not to charge Cosby over two alleged cases of sexual assault dating to 1965 and 2008.
Cosby, who has repeatedly denied wrongdoing, sat still and silent through Wednesday's court hearing and offered no visible reaction to Judge O'Neill's decision.
He could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors and defence lawyers left court without speaking to reporters.