Dec 09, 2013

    Harry's South Pole race canned


    ORGANISERS of an Antarctic charity race involving Prince Harry said on Saturday they are suspending its competitive element because of harsh conditions, but plan to continue the journey to the South Pole.

    Prince Harry, 29, is a member of one of three teams involving injured soldiers that set off last week on the 320km Walking With The Wounded South Pole Challenge.

    Expedition director Ed Parker said the teams were experiencing "a higher degree of stress" than expected, and will no longer race one another but travel and camp together.

    In a recorded message on the organisation's website, Mr Parker said the teams had had "a pretty tricky couple of days".

    "The weather remains good but the terrain is very difficult, far harder than we had anticipated," he said.

    Mr Parker added that the teams would be driven for part of the route and then finish the final 112km to the Pole on foot, likely within a week.