Han Solo goes solo in Star Wars film out 2018
HAN Solo, the Star Wars space hero who always has a fast ship and a good blaster, will get his own standalone film directed by The Lego Movie's film-makers, Walt Disney said on Tuesday.
The untitled Han Solo project, slated for release on May 25, 2018, will be the second standalone Star Wars anthology film, following the release of Rogue One next year.
These films will explore a separate part of George Lucas' intricate intergalactic universe and will intersperse the new trilogy of Star Wars movies, which kicks off with December's highly anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
The new Han Solo film will focus on the origin story of the character made famous in the Star Wars films by actor Harrison Ford, who will reprise that role in The Force Awakens. Solo was introduced in the original Star Wars film as a former smuggler who takes Luke Skywalker aboard his ship, the Millennium Falcon, and helps him escape Darth Vader.
Solo becomes the lovable scoundrel of the Rebel Alliance, fighting against the oppressive Galactic Empire along with his friend and co-pilot Chewbacca, a bear-like "wookie".
"The story focuses on how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley," Disney said.
Film-makers Chris Miller and Phil Lord, best known for last year's The Lego Movie, will direct the Han Solo project, which has yet to announce a cast.
"We promise to take risks, to give the audience a fresh experience, and we pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us," Miller and Lord said in a statement.
Writer-director Lawrence Kasdan, best known for co-writing The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens, will pen the screenplay with his son Jon Kasdan.