Oct 08, 2015

    Arnie may not be back for more Terminators


    ARNOLD Schwarzenegger won't be back for more Terminator movies, at least not in the near future, after his outing in this year's Terminator Genisys.

    The Hollywood Reporter said late last week that the Terminator series has been put "on hold indefinitely", according to sources.

    There were plans for two sequels as well as a television series spin-off, noted The Independent.

    A possible reason for pulling the brakes could be the box-office receipts of Terminator Genisys, which starred Schwarzenegger as an ageing Terminator robot fighting on the side of humanity.

    The Hollywood Reporter said that the movie, made on a US$155 million (S$220 million) budget, "will lose money", despite doing well overseas and grossing US$112 million in China. The entertainment news outlet also noted that the movie had a "soft" United States opening of US$27 million.

    Figures from tracking site Box Office Mojo show that the movie made US$89.8 million in the US, but raked in US$440.2 million globally.

    The previous film in the series, Terminator Salvation (2009), which starred Batman actor Christian Bale, made more in the US with US$125.3 million in ticket sales, but less globally at US$371.3 million.

    Terminator Genisys wasn't well-received by critics. On review aggregator site Metacritic, the movie got a score of 38 per cent based on 41 critics.