How to make the dish
250g all-purpose wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 to 4 slices of boneless chicken thighs
3 to 4 small chicken fillets
100g of soya beans, put in a small sieve bag
1 litre of water
2 black mushrooms, sliced
100g mani (sweet leaf) vegetables
100g minced chicken meat
1/4 cup soya sauce
2 tbsp mirin or sake (Japanese-style rice wine)
2 tbsp of teriyaki sauce
1/2 tbsp Knorr Hao Chi seasoning
Dash of white-pepper powder
1/2 cup soya sauce
1/2 cup mirin
1/2 cup sugar
1. To make the mee hoon kuay, pour the flour into a mixing bowl. Pour one tbsp of the water slowly and intermittently into the mixing bowl, while mixing the flour thoroughly with your hands.
2. After the dough has been kneaded together (texture is smooth and there are no lumps), wrap dough in a plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Marinate chicken fillets for 30 minutes. Wrap chicken thighs around marinated chicken fillets.
4. Roll chicken thighs (with chicken fillets inside) into a cylindrical shape. Wrap aluminium foil around it. Tie with strings to maintain shape.
5. Steam over low fire for 30 minutes. After which, place the chicken chashu in a fridge for 30 minutes to cool.
6. Place eggs in a pot of boiling water and cook for five minutes over slow fire. Remove from heat and soak in iced water for five minutes.
7. After five minutes, remove eggs from iced water and remove shells. Soak eggs in seasoning sauce for 30 minutes.
8. In a large pot, bring a litre of water to boil over slow fire and add in soya beans in a sieve bag, secured properly. Boil for 30 minutes.
9. Add in mushrooms and minced chicken meat. Add vegetables last. Boil for a few minutes over slow fire. Turn fire off and set aside.
10. Boil a big pot of water over slow fire for five minutes.
11. Roll the dough into a thin sheet. Hand-pull the dough upwards, pinching small and flat pieces as you go along.
12. Place dough pieces into pot slowly and boil until mee hoon kuay surfaces at the top. Turn fire off.
13. Drain mee hoon kuay. Place it in the pot of soya-bean soup base and bring it to boil for five to 10 minutes.
14. Serve mee hoon kuay in a large bowl, topped with chicken chashu and halved eggs.
15. Garnish with fried ikan bilis and spring onions.