S. Korea firm gets flak for keeping mum
COWAY, which rents out household products in South Korea, reportedly kept consumers in the dark for a year regarding nickel found in its ice makers, causing outrage and fears about health risks.
This week, it posted an apology on its website.
"After ascertaining that the substance we found was nickel, Coway confirmed that the amounts of nickel that could be found in the water were not harmful to the human body, through careful study, including advice from outside specialists," it said.
However, the statement did not apologise for failing to notify consumers earlier about the incident.
The public has responded in outrage, as the revelation comes soon after widespread shock concerning harmful substances in other widely used household products such as the toxic dehumidifier steriliser from Oxy Reckitt-Benckiser and air purifier filters from 3M.
THE KOREA HERALD/
ASIA NEWS NETWORK