Penang stops study on undersea tunnel link to Butterworth
A FEASIBILITY study for a proposed undersea tunnel that would link Penang island to Butterworth has been put on hold.
"The Penang state government had requested to stop the feasibility study for the undersea tunnel," Consortium Zenith BUCG chairman Zarul Ahmad Mohd Zulkifli said on Tuesday.
He said the company had already completed about 83 per cent of the feasibility study for the undersea tunnel.
The 7.2km undersea tunnel linking the island to the mainland was awarded to Consortium Zenith BUCG back in 2013, together with three highway projects.
"The state government did not provide the explanation to stop the feasibility study for the undersea tunnel but want us to focus on the highway projects for now," Mr Zarul said.
He did not elaborate if the entire tunnel project would be cancelled following the halt in the study.
ASIA NEWS NETWORK